Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Flying the Banner

There have been many recent accusations that the democratic candidates in Utah County have eschewed the Democratic Party label. Commentators have complained that candidates are more often touting their religious affiliation over their Democratic affiliation and maintained that the political party should be more relevant than personal religiosity.

I agree that religion should not play a role in political races but I recognize that it often does. The main advantage of activity in the predominant religion, in my opinion, is the network of social connections it gives, rather than dependence on voters' religious preference. For this reason, I have not made much mention of my own religion.

I can, however, be considered one of the candidates guilty of down-playing my political party. My door to door fliers do not mention the Democratic Party. The County Party logo appears inconspicuously on the home page of my website and although one of the questions on my FAQ page is "Why are you running as a democrat?", there is no other mention of party affiliation.

The office I am running for is Representative of District 61 to the State House of Representatives. Voters will choose a person to represent them. With this in mind, I have been knocking on the doors of District 61 voters. I have introduced myself and asked them what they are looking for from the State Legislature. It has helped them to know me as a candidate, a choice on their November ballot, and it has helped me to know them and their concerns.

The Utah County candidates running as republicans are anxious to make the most of their affiliation with the majority party. For many, that is the total of their campaign message: "I am your Republican Party choice."

I do not plan to serve as a representative of my political party. I plan to serve as a representative of people. Real people. People who are struggling with uncertain futures, unemployment or under-employment, higher costs and lower incomes. But people who are resourceful, generous, and in most cases hopeful. I feel extremely confident in my ability to do this. So, to me, the political party is not the most important factor in choosing a representative. It does, however, have a role in the legislature.

There are great benefits of having a legislature that is more balanced in terms of political party. Legislators will turn down the divisive rhetoric to be able to work across the aisle. More opinions are heard and perspectives are examined and people are served. That is one of the reasons I choose to run as a democrat.

In addition, I have confidence in my adopted Democratic Party. I see it as the "big tent" that allows me to formulate solutions to problems from whatever source they come. I see the Utah County Democratic Party as a moderate alternative to an increasingly unbending conservatism in the Republican Party. I am comfortable working with the people in the County Party and I am grateful for the support of the State Democratic Party. Some of them may be skeptical of a moderate in their ranks but are encouraging me just the same.

1 comment:

Tan Clan said...

In the 21 years I have known Deon Turley, I have always found her to be open and honest about her position on things. If she doesn't know something, she finds out. Like many, she has a sincere desire to help people. Unlike many, she is willing to do something about it. I like that. I think she will make a great representative of the people of Utah County!