Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sweat Equity for Tax Payers

I forgot my work gloves this morning but that was alright. Most of my responsibility was behind the wheel of my pick up truck. This morning I joined about 25 people--men, women, and children--at Lions Park. It wasn't for a picnic or a ball game, but a work party.

For some years, neighbors surrounding Lions Park have been interested in seeing improvements at the park. Some improvements have been accomplished through Eagle Scout Projects, including rebuilding the foot bridges over the canal on the south and east sides of the park. Other projects, such as a paved sidewalk around the perimeter of the park, were beyond the ability of the scouts and volunteer labor. The City claimed that they were unable to afford these projects and suggested that they apply for a Block grant. And so they did.

They received a grant that would cover the cost of materials and the skilled labor needed to install the sidewalk but the neighbors were required to donate the unskilled labor necessary to get it done.

The first work party was earlier this summer and I heard about it but was unable to come help. The second was this morning.

When I arrived, a sod cutter had just come through and cut the pathway, and volunteers, large and small, were rolling the damp sod like strips of carpet, and setting the rolls on the side of the path. Some of the men were loosening the stubborn pieces with shovels and I asked if I should run back home for a shovel or two. I said I could toss them in the back of my truck.

"You have a truck here?"

I answered yes. Those pushing wheelbarrows stopped in their tracks.

"Bring it over and we'll load the rolls on and you can haul them to the other side of the park. You won't need a shovel; you'll be driving the truck."

As it turned out, I could have used gloves at least, because I helped with the loading and unloading too. My palms soon had a dried layer of mud -- and so did the truck.

But we both cleaned up just fine afterward. And I enjoyed the time to visit with neighbors, some of whom I hadn't seen in a long time.

It was impressive to see the adults setting an example of stepping up to improve their community instead of waiting for government to provide everything. One of the volunteers told how working at the park had made her children feel connected with the park.

I appreciate that there are programs such as this, that encourage neighbors to organize projects for their mutual benefit. Providing the materials and skilled labor made this a bargain for city government and volunteering as neighbors to work on it made for a satisfying (if muddy) social event.

No comments: