Saturday, August 7, 2010

Notes from the Field

This summer is flying past! I am visiting with people in my surrounding neighborhoods to let them know that I am running for the legislature and hoping for their support. It is an adventure knocking on strange doors -- like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

Last week I went looking for a particular voter and knocked on what turned out to be her landlady's door. After our conversation, the landlady became as enthusiastic about my campaign as any supporter I have. A serendipitous find!

Every once in a while I am met with a "brick wall". Many doors have a notice warning solicitors away but I have allowed myself to conclude that I am not "soliciting" but offering voters information about who will be on their ballot this year. Today I had a young woman assert forcefully that I was trespassing, based on their notice.

I recognize many of the doors I am knocking on from my previous campaign. I stepped back quickly a few days ago, after ringing the bell at the house where, in 2008, a wasp flew out of the wreath on the door and stung my cheek.

Many doors open to fascinating surprises. Like one a couple of weeks ago. The gentleman who answered invited me in and I learned that he was an artist, retired from the faculty of BYU, who had recently had to bring in his collections of pottery from a storage area and they covered almost every surface of his family room and dining room. I purchased a wedding gift from him at the end of our visit.

Yesterday I met a woman who gave me a campaign pep talk and a crash course on the Constitution.

Today, I met a traffic engineer with UDOT, a mortgage loan officer, a web designer who gave me advice on my campaign website, and an inventor/author/barber who taught me about the ethnic origins of my Welsh ancestors.

I love the fascinating people who make up House District 61! I hope to tap into their experience and expertise as their representative to the State Legislature.

No comments: