Saturday, June 19, 2010

Money Matters

Tuesday was the filing deadline for a campaign finance report to the Lt Governor’s office. I was curious about my opponent’s financial situation in comparison with my own so after the deadline I went to the public search page of the Lt Governor's website.

On my report I have page after page of small donations from friends, family, and supporters.
He has a few donations, one from the tobacco industry and one from an entertainment software group and another from a health care PAC. This is not to say he will be running behind me in terms of fundraising. Corporate donations come in the late summer and fall.

Withdrawals from my campaign account have been for sporadic charges for printing and mailing letters and otherwise publicizing my campaign.
His most recent expenditures are fitness center dues and a donation to the NRA.

I welcome public scrutiny of campaign finance. It may help voters decide who will win their votes. It may be as close to campaign finance reform as we can get.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such transparency makes good sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Such transparency makes refreshingly good sense to me.

Unknown said...

Deon, your posts are terrific. I've forwarded several of them to relatives and friends. I really appreciate your insight and hope you continue after the election, whatever the result. Your leadership is inspiring and we need your voice.

Anonymous said...

Good points. I'd recommend you include a link to the actual report you found--so it's easier for people to see themselves.