Saturday, March 6, 2010

It's Official!

At 5 PM on March fourth, I stood before a group of smiling faces and announced that I had decided to March forth! I announced my campaign for the Utah State House of Representatives.

Over the next few days I will post excerpts from my announcement speech. Today I want to post the opening acknowledgments (including the people that I only thought to acknowledge after I sat down).

In attendance and at my side was my good husband who supports me in many of my wild adventures. He not only offers his technical expertise with all things digital, he also gives careful consideration to the issues of the day and shares his viewpoints with me. Often we agree, sometimes we do not, but his love and respect for me is constant.

My father drove 100 miles through blizzard conditions to attend this event and that was symbolic of his tremendous support for me. His example and explicit teaching throughout my life of personal integrity and responsibility are part of my living inheritance.

My mother, at home giving hospice care to my aunt, has of course been a great influence in my life. She has provided an example of community service throughout her life, including being elected to the district school board and organizing community activism. She spear-headed the first Tea Party march in Ogden so you know I have had conservative values instilled in me from the beginning.

I also feel the love and support of my parents-in-law, whom I love as my own parents and consider them as such.

My brothers and sisters, including all the in-laws, represent a wide political spectrum and some of us can be very out-spoken. My Staffanson and Turley parents raised us to be courageous independent thinkers. They are amazing role models.

The home where we have raised our seven children seems to be emptying out. My children are landing all across the country and some are starting families of their own. In spite of the distance, they are ever supportive of my political forays. I can count on them for campaign advice and their perspectives on public policy. This is valuable since they represent professions in economics, law, transportation, education, military service, and, in one case, navigating the middle school social scene. Each is a blessing to me.

Lastly, I am indebted to the many volunteers who have cheered my entrance into this campaign. Many have joined me as Republicans or independents because of their faith in me. This is humbling and gratifying. Many are what I call "the keepers of the Democratic Party flame." They have been marginalized for years and haven't succumbed to cynicism and despair. They continue to put heart, soul, shoe leather, and financial backing into hope that their voices will be heard. I am proud to be counted among those who are anxious to see balance return to state government. I am willing to work, and happy to represent my neighbors of District 61 in the Utah House of Representatives!

No comments: