Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The morning after

My father had a favorite poem that he wanted to commit to memory. He enlisted the help of us children to help him learn it and, as one might expect, the kids learned it faster than my dad. The poem was Kipling’s “If”, and a small part of the poem that I have remembered, after some forty years, goes like this:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;

This being good advice has made waking up on this day a little easier. Meeting triumph and disaster, I have decided to treat those two imposters the same.

On the wall of my campaign headquarters (aka the guest bedroom) there is a poster that my son gave to my daughter for Christmas. It is an inspirational poster and has a quote and a lovely photo of a ski jumper. The large title is "Ineptitude". The quote says: "If you can’t learn to do something well, you should at least learn to enjoy doing it poorly." Perhaps you can imagine what the ski jumper looks like.

I think I have been well served by the sentiments of this poster. Like many of my fellow candidates in Utah County this year, my campaign for the legislature has been a new adventure. If someone had told me 12 months ago that my name would be on the ballot this year, I’d have told him he was crazy. There have been times during this year that I have decided that I was the one who was crazy. But somehow, as I have campaigned poorly in many ways, I have learned to enjoy it too.

I hope I can adequately express thanks to all the volunteers and financial supporters who believed in me. We knew we had a big challenge to overcome. I received this quote from a friend, attributed to Abraham Lincoln:
"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."
Many people knew our probability and pitched in with hope. I have so appreciated that encouragement.

Thank you, to all my friends!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you ran. I voted for you and know a lot of people who did. I think you would have been great!

jaredean said...

You ran well and although you didn't win, the fact that you were personally in my neighborhood, knocking doors and speaking to people, was impressive. Your flyers were well written and from the heart and I truly expected you to win. I know my wife and I voted for you and I’ve voted Republican for most of my life with few exceptions. I hope you don’t give up and will think about giving it another shot in the future. You had a huge uphill battle running Blue in a Red state and did very well - all things considered.

One question – I thought I saw “thank you” banners put on your signs this morning. I was excited for you (not knowing the results heading in to work, I thought you’d won and you were thanking the voters)…did you have thank you banners on your signs?

Crolace said...

I'm really proud of you, Mom! You did a hard thing and impacted a lot of people! Great job!

Alex said...

Deon, you got 36% of your electorate to vote for you while running as a Democrat in what many people consider the reddest county in the reddest state. You may not have won, but you did great and you should celebrate how very well you did. Thanks you for running and giving me the option of voting for someone I support in district 61. You rock Deon! ~Alex Eagar

Deon Turley said...

The Thank You sign riders were to thank all my supporters, those who hosted the signs or helped in any way. I also have enjoyed the conversations with so many people. I must admit that the door to door campaign made me nervous at first. But the people I met were, for the most part, very gracious and friendly and taught me a lot.
Yes, Thank you to all of you.

Rachel Mae said...

We so admire you for running, Deon. It's so impressive to put so much work and time and heart into something as unsure and fickle as running for office (in Provo). You've inspired us with your willingness to work for change, and I do believe you brought about a measure of change despite the outcome. Thanks for your great example!

Nathan said...

Deon, you ran an outstanding campaign. Almost everyone I know who took the time to read your material and consider your positions voted for you, including friends who are typically staunch Republicans. It was a steep uphill battle all the way but you ran hard with courage, reason, and integrity.

Thanks also to Steve and your wonderful family. You have quite a team!

And thanks for bringing to mind that passage from Kipling. My mom made us learn it as kids. Somehow I had never thought of it in the context of running for public office, but it fits perfectly, and for you, the last stanza particularly:

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run....
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Unfortunately, the last line doesn't fit quite so well... ;-)

miklamx said...

Is there tracking as far as campaign finance contributions from outside sources? Do they have to submit how much money and where they got it from?

miklamx said...

Is there tracking as far as campaign finance contributions from outside sources? Do they have to submit how much money and where they got it from?

Deon Turley said...

To miklamx:
There best way I know to find information about campaign finance is on the Lt.Governor's website. They have a page devoted to financial disclosure.
http://elections.utah.gov/financialdisclosure.html

I don't know whether you will recognize an "outside" contribution or not. For example, a few supporters, including family members who live out of state, donated to my campaign.

Also, some friends and family used their business names as the donor. Perhaps I should have listed them as the individuals they were but I followed their instructions and used the names that appeared on the check.

Likewise, it is often difficult to track who the principle supporters are when donations are given in the name of a political action committee.

Many of these problems may be addressed by campaign finance reform in the coming legislative sessions.

I hope you find the information you are looking for.
Thanks for asking.