Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Financing the Work

Was I surprised, when I first began to consider this project of running for office, how much the campaign itself would cost? Yes, indeed!
So the first thing you do is say, "How does everyone else raise that sort of cash?"
I knew that Mitt Romney had the resources to pay for his campaign -- or a lot of it. That isn't my situation.
Calling upon businesses or political action committees to contribute seemed the last thing I wanted to do, since that would send the message that I would be able to return the favor when their interests came up in legislation.
The ones whom I want to represent are the people of my legislative district, my neighbors. It takes confidence to approach a neighbor, especially one who you know is struggling to makes ends meet, and say, "It is so important to you that I be elected that you should help to pay for signs and pamphlets." As hard as this is, it is equally amazing when people respond and pull out a checkbook.
Many people don't get it. They haven't been asked to support a political candidate. It has hasn't been necessary in Republican dominated Utah County. There are enough willing businesses and PAC's to get the job done for republican candidates.
But others recognize the relationship of money and representation.
When it is difficult to get out of my comfort zone, memory of the $25 check that came as a surprise gets me on my feet.
This campaign may be a long shot but these $50, $20, and $5 contributions are feeding my resolve.

No comments: